- Understand the social, biological, recreational and commercial characteristics of the West Coast marine environment.
- Communicate with and consider the views of the community, conservation groups and key users interested in marine protection on the West Coast.
- Promote public appreciation and enjoyment of the West Coast marine environment.
- Take account of the relevant scientific and technical advice on the condition and status of West Coast marine ecosystems.
- Provide up to date reports and information for anyone interested in the forum.
- Foster open discussion.
- Evaluate options for an integrated protection strategy.